Monday, November 5, 2012

"They did teach with power and authority"


This is probably the worst part of Mexican weather.  We're still in the rainy season, but it's starting to get cold.  I'll probably have to break out the jacket again soon.  This was probably the worst week we've had so far in this area, but I felt like we worked harder than we had before, so I'm not too worried about that.  The good news is that God saw our work and blessed us... on his own time.  We visited a referral with a member Sunday night, and they all accepted baptismal dates (José, Reina, Alejandro, and Jairo.  Parents aren't married and Reina isn't divorced) for the 25.  We're praying for a miracle.  Getting that referral was also something of a small miracle.  We visited a returned missionary and his very pregnant wife (she's due close to Christmas, but will probably have a Cesarian right around Thanksgiving.  Good thing they don't celebrate that here).  Anyway, we showed up in the middle of their día de muertos party, but they let us in to give her a blessing (the RM currently has his rights suspended.  That's uncommonly common in this ward), so we did and right after he called his friend (Jairo) and said "hey, come to church with me tomorrow" and he did.  Excellent.  After the blessing, we shared a message with them about faith.  Sunday, the wife signed up to give us food this month after not having done so in about a month and a half.  It was kind of a nice little return for the service we gave them (that doesn't count as priestcraft, does it?)
I also had an interesting experience this week with a non-member whose wife and kids are all members.  Out of pure inspiration, we decided to visit his wife to try to get a referral, but he happened to be there, so we took full advantage of it.  We taught lesson 3 (the gospel of Jesus Christ), but I felt like every word out of my mouth was guided and directed by the Spirit.  It was such a powerful lesson.  He told us that he knows the church is true, but that he can't be baptized.  He wouldn't tell us why (his wife had already told us that he's a pretty heavy drinker), so we left it at that for the moment.  They went out of town after that, and we saw him briefly on Sunday.  Walking away then, I was wondering when he'll finally get baptized, and the impression came to me "you'll baptize him, but you have to work for it".  I felt a connection with him since the first time his wife told us his situation, and now I know why.  I know that the Lord can use me to help him, but I'm asking for your prayers on his and my behalf as well.  He's Salvador Cabrera (they call him Chava).  
Really I just feel like this week I've started teaching not just good, but excellent.  I don't know what the difference is, but I just feel like I'm completely guided by the Spirit in every teaching situation, and I teach with a lot more power and authority.  Maybe not quite as much as the sons of Mosiah, but I'm getting there.  
I haven't mentioned much about study lately because I mosely did it as filler when I didn't know what else to write about but I felt like my letters were really short.  It sounds like everyone's been pretty busy this week.  All we did for the holidays was avoid the drunks and keep on working.  Something they do here that they didn't do last year in Apaxco was walk around with goblets filled with incense or something that really just smelled like weed.  I had to hold my breath every time we passed one because it just made me sick.  I had remembered this week that Callie was getting married, but I didn't remember when.  I'm not sure anyone ever said when, but now I know, I guess.  A few others have gotten married already, but she's among the first.  As far as the package goes, I would like more music (strictly motab, please.  remember, I have called to serve, this is the christ, and consider the lillies), but other than that, I really don't know.  I had a huge peanut butter craving a few weeks ago, but I can buy that here (even though it's super expensive).  Ah, I know.  Mint brownies.  That would be the best.  Thank you in advance.  My camera's been good, but I've seen lots of other ones with more features and things that I would like to have.  Really, we don't and shouldn't take too many pictures.  The rule is that we shouldn't take pictures while we're proselyting.  That means only on Mondays before 5 essentially.  Really we don't do a lot of fun things.  This district doesn't do Monday activities, and we use all our time on Monday to wash, write, etc. anyway.  We're still trying to figure out how to work with the ward, but it's difficult.  There just isn't a lot of desire to help with missionary work, and even less understanding of how.  We hear from Sister Call every now and then, but usually it's just a short message in the letter from President.  She's been starting to do very mom-ish things in the mission lately, and is teaching missionaries how to direct music, make a 72 hour kit, and other such things.  
I know this is the Lord's work.  He directs it and takes part in it.  I know that living the fulness of the gospel is the way to happiness.  Doing all that the Lord has commanded is the only sure way to be happy and safe regardless of our life situation.  I know that Heavenly Father knows and loves us.  He blesses us for our obedience.  He sends His Spirit to guide and direct us when we are worthy and do all we can to seek that divine help.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior.  His Atonement is infinite and perfect.  We never reach our last chance so long as we are willing to come unto Him.  I know that as we do so and repent, we find true happiness.  The only way to be really happy and have peace in this life is by aligning our will and our actions with the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers.  He knows us and loves us.  When we are doing His work, He will go before our face, He will be on our right hand and on our left.  His spirit will be in our hearts, and His angels will be round about us to bear us up.  I know this is true.

 

Elder Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home