Monday, September 3, 2012

10 Transfers

who knows what that fruit is (I bet nobody will)


really good chocolate cake




a fancy hotel where our mission leader's daughter's after baptism lunch was held






the second scorpion I've seen in Mexico. He was just taking a stroll, though



the coolest chess set ever




Well this week begins a new shortened transfer (3 weeks, and thus the reason I'll be home 3 weeks earlier), and I'm still here in Jurica with Elder Cox, which I'm excited about. I really almost didn't even remember that it was transfers this week. Anyway, we had 3 investigators come to church, but none of them have accepted a baptismal date. Dang it. One of them is Alfredo Jr. He's finally starting to make things work out so that he can come to church, but still has to figure out what to do with work. Really he just needs to quit his job and get a better one. He's looking, so we're praying that he'll get something that'll give him Sundays. The other two people were actually referrals that members brought with them. I just can't tell you how happy I was when I saw members doing their job. I'd certainly call it a tender mercy that we've been working so hard so the members will do it and now they did. Preach My Gospel is true.

Aside from that, Alfredo got sustained to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood in stake priesthood meeting last night, which is awesome, and both he and Luis now have home teaching assignments. I've just loved seeing them progress and learn. We did have a little scare with Luis, though. He had his interview for the Melchizedek priesthood on Wednesday with a counselor in the stake presidency, and it turns out he wasn't quite paying a full tithe, so the counselor said he didn't have faith, which really hurt him. We passed by their house Thursday (by pure inspiration) and Norma told us all about it and that Luis was starting to be really short-tempered again and was going back to his old ways. I talked with the counselors in the bishopric and they went and straightened things out. I couldn't even begin to describe how anxious I was. The thought of Luis leaving the church over that or going inactive or something was just too much to bear. Thankfully, all went well, and he came to church on Sunday just as happy as ever.

Tell Bro. Cox thanks a lot for his messages. I always love what he sends, and it's always really inspiring for me. I prefer getting them in the mail if he wouldn't mind sending them, though. I do get them, it just takes a little more time. Mom, it sounds like work is starting to get a little hectic. All I can say is just try to be patient and pray always. That's made so much difference for me when we get stressed or things don't go well. We rely on the Lord more than we realize. It sounds like Brig's life has taken a bit of a turn as well. You'll just have to use all kinds of Mexican words in your Spanish class to counter the Spain Spanish, bro. I hope you practiced your doble sentido. I think it's fun that you're at school, though, and I know things will go well. Mom said you missed having the constant companionship of the Spirit. There's really no reason you can't have it. The sacrament works the same for missionaries and normal members. The Lord's promise to all is that we can always have His Spirit to be with us. Just remember two things, the idle mind is the devil's workshop, and distractions stop us from being diligent. Focus on the Lord and let Him guide you in doing the everday things instead of doing those things first and then looking for the Lord. Dad, keep looking for a job. I'll be fasting and praying for you, and I know the Lord will fulfill the promise that you received in that blessing a while ago. All things happen on His time, but they always happen. Sounds like Tara had a pretty crazy soccer game. I'm not sure why parents keep time, though. That's just asking for conflicts with the refs. As to being mopey all week, one of the biggest things I've learned thus far is that attitude is a choice. We must act, not be acted upon. If you're mopey, it's because you're choosing to be mopey. I, personally, think being happy is a lot better, and it only takes the decision on your part. That's super funny that Andrew is such a travieso (I couldn't think of the appropriate word in English). Also cool that Bro. Wood got back home. I thought about him a few weeks ago and that message you sent about doing their sacrament services and all that. That's cool that Romney is doing well and being bold. Even though things may be so black and white to missionaries, that only changes because of the change in attitude after the mission. The gospel and its principles don't change based on our callings or responsibilities, but when we allow other things to take over our thoughts, we lose the focus one the simple truths of the gospel. We are either in the Lord's territory or we aren't. There is no in between. Obviously, charity is essential in helping others live the gospel, but we also have to declare the doctrine with love and invite with love, or our charity isn't complete and won't yield a fulness of fruit. Just like faith, it requires action.

A very happy birthday this week to Dad and Andrew (even though mom didn't remember to mention Andrew, I remembered).

Thanks to Alyssa Shirley and Alyssa Lebaron for letters this week. We got letters on Wednesday and Sunday (that's why I like having the zone leaders go to church in the same building as us). I loved the Mexican party pictures, and I'm glad you had a good time on your trip to Southern Utah.

As far as a message for the ward, I'm not sure exactly what you want, but I'll give it a go: (feel free to edit based on what the Bishop actually wanted)
Dear Windsor 7th ward,
First of all, thank you so much for your prayers and support. I truly feel it, and I know that the Lord will bless you for your faithfulness in upholding His servants. I feel that if there is one thing I could share with you, it would have to be about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. This supreme gift to man is the center of all things that we do in the gospel. It applies to every aspect of our lives, and its power to change and improve us is infinite. Every sin, weakness, lack, or fault in our lives can be made correct through this infinite and eternal sacrifice. It makes bad people good, and good people better until one day we will be not only with our Heavenly Father, but like Him. There is no other power on earth or in Heaven that can transform us into gods. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior. Through the shedding of His blood, he has wrought a perfect, infinite, eternal sacrifice to save all mankind that will accept him. As we apply the principles of the Gospel in our lives, we experience this power and are made more like our Father in Heaven. I know that in no other way can we find happiness, only in and through Jesus Christ, our Master.

I know that this is Christ's church. We have His priesthood authority and power to act in the very name of God. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the means whereby we are sanctified through the blood of Christ. I know that His Atonement is applicable to all men, and that every guilt, sorrow, or trial we pass through can be turned into joy and strength through this divine gift. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. I know that he restored the church and the gospel to the earth, and that it will never be taken from it again. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. It is a witness of the divinity of the Savior. It is a guide in our times of trial. I know that as we read, study, and apply it's teachings, we will grow closer to God and establish a true relationship with Him. I know that Heavenly Father hears our prayers. He answers them according to our faith and His will. I know that He truly is our Father, and He knows and understands us perfectly. I know that we can always find comfort through Christ. He has experienced all things according to the flesh in order to succor us. We are never out of reach of His bounteous love. I know that the worth of every single soul is great in the sight of God. We are all His children, and He desires that we all return to His presence, without exception. Through the Atonement of Christ, God has made possible the bringing about of His eternal work and glory.

Elder Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home