Monday, October 1, 2012

D&C 103:28

Good news this week.  We have an investigator who came to church with a baptismal date and is really excited about the church.  Her name's Carol, and her dad is a member (baptized about 2 years ago).  She's 20, goes to college, and does whatever 20 year old girls do, I guess.  Anyway, she's really liking church and the gospel, so we should be having a baptism on the 14.  Aside from that, it was a bit of a rough week.  If you ask me, either Elder Gaytan didn't learn much from training for the first 9 weeks, or his trainer didn't do a very good job.  I imagine it's a combination of both, but it means I have a whole lot of work to do with him, and not much time to do it.  Anyway, I'm seeking the Lord's help, and I think everything will end up ok.  I don't really feel like a real trainer because it's only three weeks, but at the same time, it's probably better that way.  I think I'd be ok with training if I got to do it from the start, but being the adoptive father isn't the best.

Elder Gaytan is from Monterrey, but lived for 6 years in Austin,TX, so he speaks English well.  He likes guitar as well, but plays only metal.  He was born in the church, and is probably just like all the other Mexicans that are born in the church.  He likes to talk a lot.

The area is ok here.  We're in Teoloyucan and Coyotepec if Dad wants to google earth that.  The ward is pretty small, and from what I've heard, they've been on the decline lately as far as church attendance goes.  The members are nice, but nobody tells me their names when I introduce myself.  It's always "soy Elder Facer, mucho gusto" "ah, mucho gusto" and then they'll go on in whatever they were doing.  It's ok, though.  They were grateful that I play the piano, so for the duration of my time here, I'll get to play, which is nice, but the piano is outside of the sacrament room, so it's kind of weird.  That also means that we aren't in a real church, just a second story apartment-type building where we get to hear everything going on in the main street of Teolo during church.  Sweet.  Also, we sang "Master, the Tempest is Raging" for the sacrament hymn... I'll need to talk to someone about choosing hymns.  At least in Spanish it's called "Paz, Cálmense" which sounds a little more sacramental until you start singing it.  The work right now is pretty slow, but we'll see what happens.

That's interesting that Dad's having so many experiences of potential jobs.  I don't remember that this happened the last time, but it's nice to know that the Lord is watching out for you.  Something interesting in PMG ch. 8 on Accountability is that it says we're judged for how we used the opportunities the Lord gives us.  He's always watching out for us, but we have to take the opportunities He sends our way when it's the right one.  Brigham, take it easy on the sports and on the taking advantage of being injured to get people's phone numbers.  Not really, though.  Maybe something will come out of that.  Did Brenda ever come up to Utah or is that still future?  Good work, Tara on telling Brian to step off.  Just keep on keepin on, doing what you tell me you're doing, and things will go well.  The Lord watches over us.  It sounds like the grandkids are still just great, which is fun to hear. 

Here's my monthly letter for the ward:

Dear Windsor 7th Ward,
In studying this week, I came across D&C 103:28: "And whoso is not willing to lay down his life for my sake is not my disciple."  Normally, I'd have taken that as giving your life as in dying, but I think the Lord was referring to it in several ways.  In many instances in the scriptures, the Lord asks that we serve Him with all our heart, might, mind, and strength.  We must literally lay down "our lives" at His feet so that our life becomes His.  True discipleship isn't just going through the  motions, it is giving all that we have willingly to the Lord.  It isn't just good advice, we are under covenant to do so.  One of the greatest desires I've developed as a missionary is to be a true disciple of Christ.  I know that this is an essential part of that.  I know that only those who lose their lives for Christ's sake will find it in the eternities.  Giving all of ourselves to the Lord is essential for our temporal and eternal happiness.  I know that as you seek the Lord early, placing His will first in every case, He will shed the blessings of heaven on your lives, and will make instruments of you in His hands.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ.  Nowhere else can we find the fulness of His everlasting Gospel.  Nowhere else can we see the full fruits of living that Gospel, and in no other way can we return to the presence of God.  I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ can heal us, comfort us, and lift us to a higher plane of living.  He is the way, the truth and the life.  Only by trusting in His redeeming love can we obtain the blessings of exaltation.  I know that the family is central to God's plan for our happiness.  He has given to us the privilege, formerly reserved only for Himself, of creating a family.  He loves us and wants us to become like Him.  I know that through the Atonement, we can become an eternal family by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.  That is His promise, and the Lord always keeps His promises.

Elder Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home