Monday, November 19, 2012

"Suffer the little children to come unto me... for of such is the kingdom of heaven"


This was something of an interesting week.  I think everything I've told you about this area was reversed, and will be now that we don't knock and only do inspired contacts.  This has required that we visit the members more, and so now I have a lot of opportunities to uplift and serve them.  There still aren't a lot of referrals, but we're working on it.  It's been a really good experience for me to share the gospel in a non-investigator setting, and I'm excited for when I'll be home for FHE and the like.  Also, we had the primary program this week.  It was easily the worst program music-wise (singing, not necessarily song choice) that I've ever heard, but the Spirit was just so powerful.  If I ever get to choose my calling, it'd probably have to be primary pianist, but also ward organist, because I love that too much as well.  I think this time it really got me because I've really started teaching and testifying more simply lately so people better understand.  Then the primary kids get up and their whole part is "Soy un hijo de dios" or "Sé que Dios me ama" it just broke me down.  I was crying through half of it and on the edge of crying for the whole time.  I sure love those primary kids.  There was one line in a song that I really liked: "como hijo de Dios, Su luz me dará.  Su Santo Espíritu me guiará."  So simple, but so true.  Another fun surprise was that during the week we visited our ward mission leader who is usually kind of depressed, and I felt to share a scripture with him.  On Sunday, he based his lesson (he gives gospel principles) on what I shared and said how much it helped him.  As much as I wish he's just give a lesson from the manual, I was glad that what I said helped him.

Before I forget for the third week in a row, happy birthday to Scott on the 3rd, to Mom on the 23rd, and happy anniversary to Mom and Dad on the yesterday.  I know that's grammatically incorrect, but that's what came out.   It sounds like everyone's doing well.  I didn't hear about Tara's date with David; I guess she didn't feel the need to share about that.  Other than that, it sounds like things are going well with her.  Lys, the honeydew melons there must be bigger than the ones here, or your baby shrunk.  I hope everything goes well with your crazy week of traveling and shopping and ruining family traditions yet again (as if we haven't done that enough in past years.  Who buys pizza on Thanksgiving?).  Brig, we do companionship inventories every week, and it helps, but doesn't solve all the problems all the time.  Do I even know this Heather that you're dating?  I'm glad that your priority is on getting married, but remember that it will happen on the Lord's time.  He knows your desires, and will grant you the blessings you need when you're most ready.  I sure love hearing about those grandkids.  I'm glad everything turned out ok with Andrew.  I imagine that's a really tough, worrisome situation to be in as a parent.  That's fun to hear about the other missionaries.  I've had times where I felt like John Knaphus.  I had to learn that real success is based essentially on our worthiness, our consecration, and the Christlike attributes we develop (PMG p. 10-11).  If we do our part, it doesn't matter if the people are cold and we don't teach much.  The Lord will be pleased with us, and His is the only approval that really matters. I don't really know how my mission could be blessing the youth and children, but I'm so glad it is.  Please tell them all that I love them and hope that they will also serve missions when the time comes.  There is just nothing better for a person than to truly dedicate their life in service to the Lord.  If they come out half as blessed as I have been, it will easily be the greatest blessing in their life up to that point.  I hope I'll have the opportunity to directly influence them when I get back.
 
I also feel like some of the best times in my mission are yet to come.  I'm progressing so much in every way, and I'm just so thankful that the Lord has given me this chance to redeem the foolish youth that I was and turn into the man that He needs me to be.  As much as I learn and progress, I know that I am still nothing.  I can only do this work because the Lord sustains me through every minute of every day.  If I don't trust in Him and His guidance, we don't have success, and I simply can't do it.  I've come to understand the true nobility in the calling of a teacher.  That's really all that we do, and there is no greater call.  "and ye receive the Spirit by the prayer of faith; and if ye receive not the Spirit, ye shall not teach".  How true it is. 

We played soccer today, and I'm super out of shape and have lost most of my skill.  Dang.  Also this week on Wednesday is interviews, so that'll mean a couple of letters and maybe the package if it's arrived. 

I just know that this is the Lord's work.  I know that His hand is in every single part of this work that takes place.  As able as we may think we are, only the Lord can do His work, and He allows us to be instruments in His hands to help Him and His children.  I know that our Heavenly Father loves us more than we can know.  As infinite and eternal as He and His creations are, He knows us each individually and perfectly.  I know that He hears and answers our prayers.  I know that as we love others and follow the Spirit, any fear we have will leave, and we can become saviors on Mount Zion.  I know that there is power in covenant keeping.  As we strive daily to live according to those sacred promises we have made, heaven's richest blessing will be poured out upon us.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior.  We simply could not make it through this life without Him.  I know that as we come unto Him and repent, we can find true happiness.  There is no other way to find it.  Wickedness never was happiness, nor is it now, nor will it ever be.  I know that Heavenly Father can show us things as they really are and give us strength to follow Him daily through the grace of the Atonement wrought by Christ.  I know that His love, reach, and power are infinite, and that He can save us from sin, sorrow, and, when necessary, ourselves. 

Elder Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home