Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fasting works, who would've thought

Well this week wasn't so great in finding, teaching, and other missionary stuff. We did find one couple that looked super good, then wouldn't open the door to come to church and turned their phone off. I love morning church, but it sure makes bringing people difficult. Other than that, our only other prospect was a woman who seems really interested, but her husband is super against us, so we'll just make a teaching record for her so missionaries find her again someday. Really the best part of the week was fasting. I think this was really the first time I've had a powerful experience with fasting and recognized that it was the cause of it. I was working and praying hard to be ready to receive revelation for our September goal in the fast, and it sure payed off. Saturday night, I understood what it means in Doctrine and Covenants when it says we receive "revelation upon revelation". I decided to watch Joseph Smith:Prophet of the Restauration because I love that movie, and the Spirit just started flowing like I couldn't have imagined. Some especially significant thoughts I had were 1)our goal for September, 2)there are 100s of elect people that are ready to receive the gospel in our area right now, 3)we need to work with the members if we want to find those people, and 4)a strong desire to live up to my namesake, the prophet. The Spirit that night was just so strong with me, and it was awesome. I even bore my testimony on Sunday, but partly to exhort the members to help us out because there won't be real growth without them.
Elder Cox has about 9 months in the mission and is from Orangeville, UT (by Price). His family is all active. I have been talking a lot with President about my improvements, and we have interviews on Wednesday, so we'll get to chat it up a little more. Happy birthday to Manuel, John and Betsy. I was going to tell you last week, but I totally forgot when it came time to write. We were in a bit of a hurry. So what's going on with Brig and Brenda? As far as the musical number, I prefer "hark all ye nations". I've made my own arrangement of it that makes it awesome, but I guess I can't really send that to you. If not, "called to serve" is really fine. We almost never sing it here, at least. Mom, tell Bro. Wilkerson hi for me and thanks for thinking about me. Tara, good work on making the soccer team again (but really, who's surprised?). Remember the promise you got in your setting apart. I know the Lord will fulfill that promise. When you're on the Lord's errand, you are entitled to His help, guidance, and protection. I think it's always weirdest thinking about where Tara's at, because I'll finish my mission along with her senior year. My senior year went by way too fast.
Lys, I don't know exactly what's going on with your baby; I haven't heard from you and mom only gave me a little detail, but just remember that the Lord's hand is in this. His plan is absolutely perfect, even if we don't understand it. Also remember that this church is a church of miracles wrought by the priesthood, the very power of God. I'd encourage you to read John 9, and pay attention to the attitudes shown by the people and Jesus's responses to their questions. Whatever happens, I know that Heavenly Father loves you and your baby. Sometimes the Lord humbles us so that he can raise us up. Pray for strength and understanding. "All these things will work together for your good".
President Call asked us to come up with 3 personal goals to help us be better instruments in the Lord's hands to talk about with interviews. My goals are to obtain the gift of charity, start a study journal, and mark a new copy of the Book of Mormon with all the references to Christ. I put the goals more specifically, don't worry, but that's just the general run-down. I feel like those goals also came through revelation with the fast.
I know that this is the Lord's work and that His hand is in it. I know that as we all thrust in our sickles with our might, we can be instruments in His hands in this great and last harvest of the souls of men. Like I said before, when we are on the Lord's errand, we are entitled to His help. I know that all things are possible to those that believe. As we exercise our faith, repenting of our sins, we will receive grace upon grace, gift upon gift, and become more like our Savior. Doing so, we will one day be exalted and return to live with our Heavenly Father and our families. I know that the grace of Christ's Atonement is infinite and can turn us into gods. I know that we are never out of reach of God's love and Christ's Atonement. Their hands are always outstretched, waiting to receive us when we will turn to them and repent. This is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, the power of God unto salvation. Only through this Gospel can we obtain all the promised blessings of the Lord and fulfill His eternal purposes for us and our families.
Elder Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home