Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Maternal Instincts

an excellent steak that we ate for free at a member's restaurant. Dad, look out for this guy
Nicolas's baptism
Well this week was a good one. Things are going great here in Tequis, and I really love it. The area is a lot nicer, and Elder Nuñez is good, too. This is a place that would be really fun to come back and visit. Anyway, we had a baptism this week of a 9 year old boy whose parents basically kicked him out of the house, so he lives with another family. He's really fun, though, and has done well with that challenge. New years was fairly normal. We just hung out with some other Elders (including Elder Irigoyen) and played monopoly (I'm professional, don't worry). It was fun to see Elder Irigoyen again, and to see that he's doing good. He goes home in a few months, and is hoping to train another elder before then. Other than that, it was a pretty normal week, just in a different area.

I titled this maternal instincts, because mine are kicking in. I've had a strong desire to clean our apartment all week, because it was fairly dirty, and we did it today. I felt like mom, because I just wanted everything to be really clean, and I made it happen. I literally scrubbed almost the entire house, swept, mopped, cleaned the bathroom, and organized everything. Maybe I'll even help you with it all when I get home. But no promises.

I'm glad to hear that everyone had a good time for Christmas and new years. I'm glad Disneyland was a good time, and that you got to remember some of our good memories. Also fun that you maybe saw the Shirleys. I'm glad Alyssa would at least talk to you and see what's going on. She's good for that. Also, that's excellent that Tara introduced you to Brian Regan. I hope you can finally understand a little more of where I'm coming from when I do his voice. Also, thanks for sending that package. I was going to ask for a few things that I remembered, but it's too late now. Anyway, for the next one, it would be great if you could send a sudoku or other puzzle book and more CDs. Elder Stepp gave me a sudoku book because he had one and doesn't really like doing them, and it's been great for a) when I'm sick and on the toilet for a long time, b)waking up when my brain doesn't want to, and c) before going to bed. The only problem is that I'm too good at sudoku and I've almost finished all 320 puzzles...

I really enjoyed that conference talk. I started doing that literally. Usually when I walk, I look down to see what's in front of me, but I've started looking up more, and it actually makes a difference. There's a lot of figurative lessons that you can learn from that, or you can just do it in every aspect, and you'll be blessed. Also, I had a good experience the other week that I forgot to write about while reading Jesus the Christ. I was reading about the parable of the sower, and how even though some seeds get into good ground, some produce 30X, some 60X, and some 100X. It was an interesting lesson that made a lot more sense because of the things Dad has taught me about gardening. Even though tilling and watering and fertilizing aren't my favorite things, they prepare the soil so that when the seeds come, the soil is fertile and can produce the best fruit (or vegetables, even squash...) possible. It's all based on our diligence in preparing the soil for when the seed comes. Thanks Dad, for that unexpected spiritual lesson.

I know that love of service and helping the people is something I still lack. I've had a few times where I've felt it really strongly, but it's not something that's always there. I love missionary work, but I need to translate that to the people more than just my part of it. It was hard to do when I felt so negative before, but now I feel like Heavenly Father is giving me another chance to succeed and develop at least a little bit of charity. I just hope I'll figure it out this time.

I hope all continues to go well this year. Dad, I'm so happy that you're learning Spanish, and Mom, I hope you can catch the spirit, too. Learning gives us so many opportunities, even when you're 50. Brigham, I know you'll finish your mission great, and I hope you can make the best of post-mission life. Lys and Manuel, I wish you would've written me this week so I'd have something to say. Scott and Alicia, I wish you'd write me. I know this church is true. There's just no doubt of that. I know that Heavenly Father knows and loves us. He sent us here knowing that not all of us would make it back, but giving us all the means and every opportunity to do so. I hope we all recognize those opportunities and take full advantage of them. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior, our Redeemer, and our Master. He is the way, the truth, and the life. He is the only name given under heaven whereby salvation comes to the children of men. Strive to keep His commandments, and you will be blessed with the ability to keep them and be blessed more for having done so. The Lord loves you, and hears and answers your prayers.

Elder Joseph Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home