Monday, April 1, 2013

D&C 100:5

Well I've been unexpectedly transferred. They decided to put sisters in my area, so now I got moved to the next area over, Tequexquináhuac. I'm with Elder Smith, a Navajo from Arizona who I already knew from the district, so I'm pretty excited for that. The area isn't nearly as nice as Valle Dorado, but it's still good, and I'm excited for the change.
 
This week was mostly just the normal to do. We had a few more lessons than in weeks past, but still not as many as I'd like to be having. I had to get after E. Timoteo because he liked to lose time with the members. After talking to him, he made it clear that he wasn't really interested in changing, so I just had to take total control if we were going to do anything useful with our time. Anyway, that's about how we finished up. I made a concerted effort to testify a lot more of the Atonement this week (being Easter and what not), and I felt a very special spirit doing so. Essentially any visit that wasn't with an investigator was a message about some aspect of the Atonement. I could tell the members could feel the Spirit strong, and I did, too, so maybe I'll just have to keep that up.

It sounds like Easter at home has changed a whole lot since I was there. I guess the dynamic has just changed without the farm and now that basically everyone's older. That's great that Brian will have a good start to his mission. I still haven't been told where he's going, though, and if I'm going to write him I'll need an address. As far as the story of John 8, Christ couldn't forgive the woman not because He hadn't yet performed the Atonement, but because she hadn't yet repented. People's sins could be forgiven and cleansed from the beginning because the Atonement is infinite, but they still had to live the first principles and ordinances of the gospel. That story demonstrates more the principle taught in John 3:17 that Christ came to save, not to condemn. As far as classes, Dr. Call (Jazz History teacher) told me I shouldn't have to take Music 221, and that I can test out of it. He said if I can play the hymns without any problem, then there's no reason to take that class. If you can, please get me in 251 instead. I didn't know I was supposed to go to advisement before I left, but I guess I'll have to when I get back. Well until I'm back and can look into the MTC job, I'll be very happy to go work with Wendy again. I guess I won't ever get to sleep in again. Elder Hurst is pretty good. He's been assistant since January, I think. I don't know him super well, though. I just met him when he first got here with Elder Tuttle (with whom you also spoke) and then when he went to Jurica after I left and just before becoming assistant.

As far as your Sunday School lesson, I'm glad the topic is being addressed at home. Here there's almost no emphasis on the doctrines or practices of member missionary work. It's sad, but we have to deal with it. I actually read a cool talk by Elder Scott called "Why Member-Missionary Work?" from October 1997 I think. It'd be worth looking into if you want to learn more about the whats and whys and hows of member missionary work. It's something so important and most people, missionaries included, just don't get it. I've made lots of goals and plans to be an excellent member missionary when I'm back, so while I'm at home, we can do it together.

Mostly that's it for this week. I still can't believe how fast time's going. March is now behind us and I seem to have missed it all somehow. All that's left is April, May, and then June. I'll be here with Elder Smith until Mother's Day, then he'll probably go, and I'll have one more transfer. I sure wish I knew where the time has gone.

I know that this is the Lord's work. There are many things that I simply don't understand, but I know that He is guiding it, and that the opportunity to participate is very important. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true, and is the only way that we can be saved. I know that the Atonement is central to God's plan for our happiness, and that we can't get to the Father without going there with His Son. I know that as we live the gospel and apply the Atonement, we can live at peace with ourselves and the world around us. We can be cleansed from sin and guilt and overcome our weaknesses. We can daily become more Christlike until the future day when "we will see him as he is, for we will be like him". I know that God hears our prayers. We have to pray sincerely and with real intent in order to receive the blessings that He's willing to give us. There is no superficiality that can produce the same results. I know that as we talk with our Father, He will respond, and we will be encircled about in the arms of His love.

Elder Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home