Monday, February 25, 2013

Small and Simple Things


Things are still a little slow here.  We're starting to get a lot more member participation, which is awesome, and I'm sure we'll start seeing results from that soon, but the transitions are always a little difficult.  We had several people that were going to come to church this week, but, as usual, they all cancelled last minute or just didn't show up.  We did have one cool experience with a less-active brother, though.  We visited them on Friday and invited him to come to church.  He said yes, but it really wasn't very sure or convincing.  He left to go do some work on his car, so we stayed to talk with his wife.  We shared a message and finished with a prayer.  She asked me to say the prayer, and I asked for her husband to have the desire to come to church.  Unbeknownst to me, he walked in right at that moment, and felt that he really needed to go to church.  He came Sunday, and I gave the Gospel Principles class about prayer.  He shared with everyone that it was because of that prayer that he decided to come.  It was a very sweet testimony-building experience about the power of doing small and simple things (D&C 64:33-34).

Aside from that, it was a pretty slow week.  We went to the offices today, and I got a letter from Emily and three letters from Alyssa, which was a very welcome surprise.  They came right when I needed them, so I really appreciate it.  It's a little (a lot) strange to think that I turned 20 months this week.  4 months just isn't very much time left.  I do feel good about what I'm doing, though, and I'm happy that I'll probably finish in this area.  There were 8 new missions created in Mexico, and they're taking the three Querétaro stakes from us as well as two in Hidalgo (Valle del Mesquital and Tezontepec) to contribute to the Querétaro and Pachuca missions.  Basically, everyone that's in those areas on July 1 (when the missions are officially created) will become a part of those missions.  Unfortunately, I finish the week before that, so I won't get to presence that.  I was really excited when I heard about it, though, and I'm just happy to be serving right now.

It sounds like everyone's still staying busy.  I wish the Joker would just decide if it's going to live or not.  This suspense is just killing me.  I was never into those school pageants.  Good work for participating, though, Tara.  I'm sure it was a hoot.  I'm sure there will be many more males to be checked off of her list before anything serious happens.  That's weird that Jeff's home.  I guess we're at the end of February, though, so it makes sense.  I thought I had heard that he lost weight, though.  Maybe it was somebody else.  Anyway, that's great that he's home and had what I imagine was a pretty successful mission.  That's great that Trent and Sally are engaged.  I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm glad I got to hear about it.  I got Ian Stepp's engagement pictures last week along with a little package, which was really nice.  He was lucky enough to have his girlfriend go on a mission when he was 6 months out (they got home the same week), and now they're hitched.  

Here's the ward letter:

Windsor 7th Ward,

D&C 88:73 is true.  The Lord is speeding along His work at a very swift pace.  How blessed we are to live in these days!  I feel especially blessed to be on the "front lines" serving as a missionary.  The Lord will not slow down, wait, or stop for us.  We've got to keep up with Him and His work until Christ is again on His earth.  Something that was impressed on me these last few days is the influence that my family has had on me in preparing to take part in this work.  A few months ago in the Ensign, there was an article about senior missionaries, and it said something to the effect that a blessing of senior couples serving is to set the example of "in this family, we serve missions".  I was fortunate enough to have a family that gave me a strong example of that.  I strongly encourage any of you who is of age and capable of serving a mission to do so, both youth and older couples.  Set the example for your future generations.  The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few, but they need not be few.  I would hope that every single young man would maintain himself worthy and prepare himself for full-time missionary service.  There is simply no greater blessing for an 18-year-old than what the Lord offers through our small sacrifice in serving Him.  Young women who have the desire to do so, I encourage the same.  Couples who are able to serve, don't doubt, just go and do.  I testify that missionary service brings more blessings than almost anything else that a person can do.  Being dedicated wholly to the Lord is the absolute greatest experience that one can have outside of having a family.  I wish I could impress upon each of you the seemingly infinite blessings that the Lord has bestowed upon me these last 20 months.  The fact is: I can't.  They are too great and too numerous to make any sort of effort at it.  I know that there are people who are waiting specifically for each one of us to come to them and teach them the restored gospel.  Let us all first convert ourselves, then do all we can to strengthen our brethren (Luke 22:32), including full-time service for those who qualify.  I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the whole world, and are all invited to come unto Him.

Elder Joseph Facer

I know that God is aware of all of us.  He knows all of our specific needs, desires, and difficulties.  I testify that He will help freely all who come to Him and seek Him out.  I know that Jesus Christ suffered for every single person who will every live on this earth and countless others created by our loving Heavenly Father.  I know that we are children of God, and can be heirs to all that He has.  I know that the Atonement is central to God's plan for our eternal happiness, and that we can only obtain a fulness of blessings as we live the gospel in order to unlock those special blessings.  I testify that none of you ever need be alone.  Because of the Atonement, the Spirit of Christ permeates every corner of the universe, and we can all feel His divine love, no matter who, where, or what we are.  God makes no exceptions for anybody, either for justice or for mercy.  I testify that as we strive to live the gospel, the windows of heaven will be opened in our lives, and the richest blessings of a loving Father will be ours.

Elder Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home