Monday, January 28, 2013

Bienvenidos a Valle Dorado


Well that title obviously means I've been transferred.  I'm now in the Valle Dorado ward of the Valle Dorado stake.  My new companion is Elder Turek.  He's from Layton, and has one transfer more than me in the mission.  Judging by our first few hours together, we have a whole lot in common, but more on that in a minute.  This week we finally made a little more progress with E. Vicente.  We had a much better week, and even got investigators to church.  Naturally, I got transferred just in time to not take further part in their conversion.  The Lord knows best.  I've gained what I feel like is the correct perception of being transferred and working in an area, and I feel like I applied it well in Teoloyucan.  It isn't important that the members or investigators remember us.  It isn't a big deal that the members are remembering "oh remember that Elder Facer?  He did this and that and was it was just a hoot to have him here" (nobody in Mexico would say that, but you get what I mean).  What should happen is people think "do you remember that one elder that was here?  He really helped us progress and learn, and he was a great example of Christlike service.  Lets try to be like he was".  I'm not saying I was excellent in Teolo, but I feel like my influence was more far-reaching than I may have previously thought.  The comments I got from members weren't so much "we'll miss you.  We had a great time together", it was more "thanks for all that you taught us.  It meant a lot to us that you came when you did".  I feel like that was real success.  Sitting in Relief Society (I gave a lesson there) yesterday, I looked around at all the sisters and saw some 5 or 6 that have reactivated through our efforts and the Lord's help, and I realized that my work in that area was more to rescue those that have already known the gospel and fallen away.  It's something I struggled with before because I think it's just illogical for people to fall away from the church, but I worked on it and saw many fruits.

That was a long paragraph.  Anyway, Elder Turek is my new companion.  He's about 6 feet tall, blonde, and blue-eyed.  He's possibly more of a nerd than I am, which is awesome.  He's really positive, and has had a similar mission experience to mine.  Both of us feel like right now is the time for us to put our strengths together and have a lot of success.  We get along really well together, think alike, and are really on the same page as far as missionary work.  In short, I'm really excited to be here with him, and I'm hoping and praying that we'll have a lot of sucess.

It sounds like a pretty full week for everyone at home.  First off, thanks to the Day family for your card.  That's good that Dad got a new job.  As much as I'm sure he likes driving all across Utah again, I couldn't see that being too profitable.  I know at least as well as Dad that appointments can fall through frequently, so the change is good.  That's cool that Brig has been able to have opportunities with what he learned on his mission.  As much as I know he wants to date and get married, maybe now just isn't the time.  Something I've tried to focus on lately is that faith in God includes faith in His timing.  We have to be patient and trust in His will and His infinite love for us and we move on, striving to do our best.  It sounds like Tara's staying busy as well.  Good work on the soccer tournament.  I know Alyssa didn't like Bro. Frost, but I really liked him.  Maybe every day wasn't the most spiritual, but for who I was at the time and what I needed spiritually, he was really good for me and helped me a lot.  That's so great that Mom and Dad got to do so many sealings.  One thing I most look forward to is frequent temple attendance when I get home.  The Lord has impressed upon me a very clear understanding of the importance of temple and family history work, and I want to do as much of it as I can as soon as I'm done.  Alyssa, I'll try to ask you on dates that aren't indexing or going to the temple (although there may be some of those as well), so don't worry about that.  We'd have a good time doing it anyway.  It sounds like stake conference was really good.  I think I'll get home just in time to miss the next one.  Darn.  I've come to realize that it's always the greatest among us who know how to be the most humble.  The little that I know of Pres. Hughes has certainly demonstrated that.  I'm loving all these nutty grandkid antics.  I love hearing the funny things they do, and am excited to participate in that.  No knocking doors is world-wide as far as I'm aware.  They've now lifted that in Mexico with the 2013 area plan saying missionaries "generally" won't knock doors or contact and that "practically" all of their investigators will come from member referrals.  Really the only times we'll ever knock will be when expressly indicated by the Spirit.

Here's the ward letter:

Windsor 7th Ward,
I've been particularly impressed lately by President Packer's talk from this last conference.  How many of us are like the two elders on the shore that, having lost faith or hope, have fallen asleep on duty while helpless mariners struggle amidst the torments of life?  We can't be passive participants in the work of the Lord.  Such a person doesn't even exist.  We are fully invested, or we need to ask ourselves "who's on the Lord's side, who?"  As the hymn, Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy, says, "But to us He gives the keeping of the lights along the shore".  We have a great work to do.  We have been sent to earth in the end of the last dispensation before Christ's second coming because the Father knows that we will be the most effective disciples in the history of this world.  The Church of Jesus Christ has spread farther than it ever has, and the work must go on.  Review hymn #335 and your personal duties as disciples of your Savior.  Review your efforts in bringing souls to Him.  Repent if you need to, and go save those lost mariners.  They can't make it to the shore without the light that we shine across the towering waves of despair that rage in the lives of "those who know not God".  "Let the lower lights be burning, send a gleam across the wave.  Some poor fainting, struggling seaman you may rescue, you may save".  Let us save those who are lost, going to the rescue to all who stand in need of it, before they ask our help.  As was said a few conferences ago, if we see someone drowning, are we going to ask if they need help?  Don't ask, just go and do.  The Lord will prepare the way.  I testify of the sacred comission we have as member's of the only true church to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances thereof.  I testify that the greatest blessings in this life and eternity come as we bring others unto Christ, beginning with our family and moving outward from there (D&C 18:15-16).

Elder Facer

Tomorrow Elder Nelson and Elder Ballard will be coming to the MTC here in Mexico, so we're going to go see them and I'm stoked.  Later in February, Elder Alonso (of the 70, 2nd counselor in the Mexico area presidency) will be coming to our mission as well.  There's certainly much to be learned in these next few months.  I'm just really excited with the way things are going right now.  I've made so much progress, but I know I still have a long way to go before June. 

I know that this is the Lord's work and He directs it.  I know that God knows us perfectly and loves us infinitely.  I know that He will do all things for us if we will simply obey Him and show our love in return.  We like to complicate life sometimes, but really just simply living the gospel will bring us all the happiness and blessings we need.  We don't need to worry about what we'll wear, eat, etc.  When we are doing the Lord's will, we will be sustained by His Almighty hand.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior.  All things are possible to those who trust in Him and wait on Him.  I testify that His Atonement can heal us physically and spiritually.  There is no limit to His love, and thus to His power to heal and save us.  I know that the Church has been restored in these latter days.  Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, and Thomas S. Monson is the Lord's mouthpiece today.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  I testify that ministering to others in the Lord's way will shower the greatest and richest blessings of heaven upon us.

Elder Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home