Monday, October 10, 2011

General Conference Hangover

Basically that means that I was really glad this week that we had conference last week, and thankfully I had some of the same spirit that I had during conference. Things are still hard. Our family of 4 that promised to come to church failed even after we passed by them in the morning, our other family of 4's dad broke his leg and can't leave his apartment, and anything else we may have had didn't come either. This was one of the worst weeks of my mission as far as numbers are concerned, which certainly doesn't help me to be excited about it. Things are still quite difficult with Elder Irigoyen, and not exactly looking up. Don't get me wrong in all of this, though. Things are very difficult, but somehow I still manage to find even very small things to keep me smiling and going on. I still don't understand why everything is happening the way that it is, but I know that the Lord has some kind of purpose in all of this. Even though that continues to elude me, He has strengthened me enough that I feel good about continuing where I'm at.

Thanks to Alyssa Lebaron, Betsy, and Alyssa Shirley, from whom I received letters this week. Betsy, Dear Elder is just fine if that's the way you want to do it. Why do you think Alyssa Shirley hasn't gotten my letters? You told me once that she did, and she told me once in one of the letters I got that she did. And Lys, I'm super happy for you that you got the job! I'm sure that will be a really nice thing for you, even if I don't totally understand all the benefits you'll be getting (but I do understand the A parking pass). Andrew sure looked different in the pictures you sent. He looks a lot more grown up, and he looks really natural standing up, so it's hard to believe he still isn't walking. Let me know what happens with your next Peru trip. Tara, even though I don't have a physical injury, I still know how you feel. When things are hard, just keep pressing on. I like to remember the words in "I Believe in Christ" when it says that "His voice is heard: 'ye shall obtain'". That just reminds me that I have to press on and put my best effort forward, and He will give us what He knows we need. Also remember 2 Nephi 31:20 that says that if we endure to the end (of anything, not just this life) with a love of God and of all men, feasting upon the words of Christ, then we will receive all the blessings that God has for us (in the case of the scripture: eternal life; not a bad reward, right?). Just remember that I'm praying for you, too, and that the Lord has a purpose in this. That's great news that Camron, Tanner, and Alan are all getting ready to go. Tell them all that I'm super happy and proud for and of them (respectively), and that I'll be praying for them. That's interesting that Tim and Alan both are in the Sunday School Presidency, but it will be a good experience for both of them. I hope I didn't sound too much like Jonathan last week; it was definitely hard, but I didn't want to sound like any of that. I know there is a purpose in this, but I just needed to let off a little steam. Playing for primary was a really great experience for me, too, and I'm glad you have the chance to fill in for Sr. Perl (and me) sometimes. The songs are so simple, but they are so powerful. I wouldn't mind being able to play primary songs every week in sacrament. I probably already have noted what Bro. Bott would and has said about it, actually. Do you think you could send all of my notes to me? They're in the laptop in my documents, then in BYU, then Fall 2010, then Mission Prep, and I would really like it if you could send them all to me. I've been a little lacking in learning from personal study (I finally made it out of kings and chronicles this week) and I think that would be a great help to me.

I'm glad Alyssa's visiting you more often, and even though I'm sure she'll read this before she talks to you again, tell her hi for me and that I hope everything is going well. Are you still working with Emily, or did all of that change with your job, too? I'm still having a little bit of stomach problems, but no more than any other missionaries. I think all is well in that department. As far as sleeping goes, I probably haven't slept well since leaving the MTC. I don't think I've had a full night's sleep since then, and I've had several nights where I maybe get 2 hours of sleep. It's hard, but I don't really expect it to improve anytime soon, so I'm just learning to live without sleep (which shouldn't be too hard, I did it throughout Jr. High, High school, and college; now I just don't get naps).

I'm still trying to do my best. Things are hard, but like I said, I'm finding motivation, and I know I can get through this. I know that with the Lord's help I can do anything He asks me to do, even when it seems impossible. With the strength I receive every day from Him, I know that He will help me find a way to really be a tool in His hands in bringing others to Christ. This is His work, not mine, and I know I can't do it without Him. I came out because of the knowledge I have about this church, and I think I just realized I lost sight of that somewhere. Right now I'm promising all of you and the Lord to rededicate myself to this work. I'm going to do my very best to consecrate my whole soul to the Lord and become what He wants me to be. He has given me everything, and deserves nothing less in return, and I would be ungrateful and worthy of being cast off forever if I'm unwilling to do that. You are all my witnesses of that, and I hope you all check up regularly to make sure I fulfill this promise. I know that the Lord loves you. He is your Father. Pray to Him. Do what it takes to be worthy and obedient and, with faith, you can have the same power as Nephi, the disciple, who could do all things that were expedient before the Lord through his faith. Study the Book of Mormon daily, and you will find peace in your lives. Keep your covenants that you have made, and you will always have the Spirit with you. I know that's true because the Lord has promised it.

Elder Joseph Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home