Monday, September 19, 2011

Miracles and Failures

I could probably start every single letter with something like "what a crazy week this has been!", but for repetition's sake, I'll leave that out, and you can just start imagining it being there every time. Our two dates fell this week thanks to apathy, and we're essentially back to nothing again. We did however, find some people that may be good investigators, but have a lot of questions that don't relate to anything. When we tried to commit them to come to church, they asked "and what do you think of hell?" (a surprisingly popular question), which led to kingdoms of glory, which led to the second coming, which led to the rapture, and then we just said we're a half hour late for our food, so bye. Thankfully, we did have a miracle this week. We've been working with a less active family (as of Tuesday), and the situation was absolutely terrible. The dad is an alcoholic (and was drinking even when he was baptized... shame on those missionaries) and smokes, the mom has a serious language problem and is maybe one of the most self righteous people I've met here, and the kids are entirely disobedient and don't even notice their parents yelling at each other. Our first visit consisted of all kinds of ugly words, shouting, and accusations from the parents at one another. The second visit, we only met with the mom, because the dad was passed out, drunk, and we told her that if she wants to see changes in her family, she has to read and pray every day, individually and as a family, go to church, and have their family home evening and left it at that. We went back on Saturday, and it was an entirely new home. Both parents were there, talking extremely cordially with each other, working together to find out how they would get to church, and came up with a solution without a single accusation or raising of their voice. I actually felt the Spirit in the house with them. I have no doubt in my mind that the Lord is changing that family, and that He worked through us to help them. It was amazing. Then on Sunday, they did come to church, and we had the primary program, which I never thought I would miss so much. They had a surprise musical guest artist (me) that was asked as they were starting the program to play for them, but that turned out to be one of the sweetest experiences I've had so far. I never thought I would miss our ward primary and playing for them so much, but the Spirit was really strong, and I really enjoyed it. They ended with "If I Listen with my Heart", which I've played a lot with our primary, and the Spirit was so strong. Send my very best to our ward primary, and tell them I miss playing for them.

What kinds of changes are happening in your job? That's so great that you were able to get to the temple, though. There is really just nothing in the world that compares to the Spirit you can feel in the temples, and I'm really excited, because we get to go right after transfers (beginning of October). I've really missed being able to go to the temple often, and it's something I absolutely plan on doing when I'm back. I'm glad you heard a lot from Alyssa Shirley. Is she still doing good? I haven't gotten letters in a while, but I'm sure they're just waiting in the offices. Don't worry, I didn't love my biology class, either.

The Spirit is so essential in this work. There's a really good quote from Ezra Taft Benson about it in PMG that basically says no matter how good of a teacher we are, it doesn't mean anything at all unless we let the Spirit teach, and it's so true. I hope Brian is getting ready to serve a mission. This is a life changing experience, and I know that if he would prepare and do his best to serve that he would see amazing changes for the better, and it would be such a blessing to his family as well.

Congrats to Scott on his calling. You have a great chance to make an impact in those boys' lives, so I hope you take advantage of that. My priest quorum leaders really helped me to set my view where it needs to be, and they helped me to be excited to want to be here right now. Do your best, Scott, to do the same for your priests and to help them be faithful servants of the Lord for the rest of their lives. Alyssa and Manuel, you're job is just as important. You have the chance to help kids learn their first lessons in the gospel that will stay with them forever (hopefully), and their parents will appreciate your help as well.

Well we're off to Tequix to eat tacos and play Turista Mundial (Chilango Monopoly) with the Elders there, so I'll wrap things up. I know that this church is the only true church with the power and authority to bring souls worthily before the judgment bar in the last day. We have the truth, directly from God through His chosen servants, the prophets. The Lord looks out for us, and is willing to bless us always. Do your best to follow Him, and you will always have His Spirit to be with you. This is an invaluable gift from our Father to help us continue in the straight and narrow path that leads to exaltation. Keep the faith, and you will be blessed.

Elder Joseph Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home