Monday, August 15, 2011

Failures and Successes

Well we had another disappointing, yet miraculous Sunday. All of our investigators fell through, which means Alejandra, Gabriela, Edwin, Rosa, Maria, and Maritzi are all going to need their baptismal dates moved back. That was very disappointing, because everyone had told us they would come earlier in the week, but then didn't come. Fortunately, Josefina did come (late) and was confirmed. She'll be good, we just need to find someone who can help her remember to get to church on time each week. We also found a new investigator while searching for two others that didn't come to church, and he came with us right then, because his wife is a member. He was baptized before, but never confirmed, so we set a date for him for the 27 of August, and confirmation the next day. The only problem is that he's a trucker, and his schedule is hard to work with, but we're confident that we can make it happen with the Lord's help. We had kind of a rough week, too. We did exchanges one day, and the Elder that I went with (Elder Travesaño from Lima) is not what I'd call a great missionary, so that was difficult. We were also working in my area, so I was stressed making sure we could find all the places we needed to. The next day, we had to go to Xalpa (about an hour and a half away) for a baptismal interview that the person didn't show up for after we drove another hour and a half to go to her house and back to the church, but she wasn't home. Essentially it was just a tough week until we got to Sunday.

Fortunately, I finished the Book of Mormon again this week (by my count, that's 8 times I've read it in total) and started reading the New Testament (feeling the need to do some bible studying after talking with a Jehova's Witness and realizing I lack biblical knowledge), so that's been good. I'm in Mark 11 (?) and it's going good. I really love that every time I read the Book of Mormon, Heavenly Father will confirm it's truth every time, so I don't need to worry about Jehova Witnesses (or TJs in Mexico for Testigo de Jehová), because I have a firm testimony that the Book of Mormon is the work of God. The scripture I was trying to tell you last week that I really like is 3 Nephi 5:13, and I found another good one that I like a lot in Moroni 9:6. Both are really good missionary scriptures, and I'm trying my best to follow Mormon's example from these two verses.

I'm not really sleeping any better, but I'm learning to sleep in the Combis and buses, so that's nice. My stomach is a little better, and most of my bowel movements are at least mostly solid. I had a really bad day with that Tuesday, and almost died, quite literally, but I've been good since then. Really I don't worry too much if my stomach can handle what we're eating, I just eat it. I've been really hungry all the time lately, so any food that is offered me, I'll take it. The weather is also about the same: pretty hot in the day, and really good rainstorms about every other afternoon. Right now we're just with one branch, and I'm mostly just helping with music in general. Obviously as missionaries we work with the leadership a lot, but as far as auxiliaries go, just music.

Pray for all the above mentioned as well as Marcos (the trucker), Victor, Liliana, and their sick baby. President Call has some pretty high expectations that we haven't been able to meet yet, but we're working on it. Elder Irigoyen is starting to get on my nerves a little, as he's actually pretty immature a lot of the time, but I'm trying my best to be patient and work well with him.

I haven't heard from Alyssa yet, but nobody's been to the offices to pick up letters since I've been here, so I hope she's writing me. She knows about the blog and everything, so I hope she's still updated. To Alyssa: you can really visit my family anytime you want to, and when school starts, you can find out from my mom where her office is if you ever need anything from her or help with anything. Plus Emily Louder works there, so you can say hi to her too.

This church is true, and this is the Lord's work. I'm so grateful to be a part of bringing about His great and eternal purpose, and I know that He will bless us all for the sacrifices that me and Brigham are making. The Book of Mormon is true, and reading and praying every day will bring so many blessings into our lives. Live the principles of the Gospel, and you will be blessed with all that you need. The Lord knows and loves all of you.

Elder Joseph Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home