Monday, August 22, 2011

One transfer down, many more to go

Well today is my two-month birthday in the mission. I've been in Mexico a little over a month, and I feel like a veteran now. This week was really good... up until Sunday. We found 5 new investigators, had them all on date, promising to come to church, and nobody did. Every single investigator we had fell through, and even our recent convert preparing to receive the priesthood didn't come. It was a pretty disappointing end of the week. Our new investigators were a referral from a member, and referrals from the new investigator from the member referral, which has a big blessing. I just wish things would've worked out. Me and Elder Irigoyen had a long talk Sunday night about what we need to do to see success in this area, and, after a lot of praying and discussing, we finally figured it out, and I hope that what we do will help us to see more success. It was really amazing to see the Lord answer our prayers and help us to know that what we had decided to do was mostly right (we changed a few things after), and I just know that revelation is so real. The Lord really does listen to us and answer our prayers, and I hope none of you ever doubt that.

I finally got letters from Alyssa today, because we had to go to the offices so Elder Irigoyen could sign his visa papers (you have to do it again after about a year), and I have to go by myself to the offices Thursday night to sign mine. If I don't write Monday, I'm lost somewhere probably in Tepotzotlan. Anyway, it was really good to hear from her, and everything sounds really good. Dad, thanks for letting me know that you saw her, too. I was wondering if she was still attending the single's ward, and you both told me that she is. I sent my letters to her last week, because I found out the Elders in Tequixquiac (tech-ease-key-ack) have a post office there, so they sent it this Tuesday. It looks like letters will take about 12 days to get down here, but I don't know how long it will be the other way. They are en route, though. Speaking of letters and the like, I don't know if you're ever planning on sending me a package, but if you do, I'd really like it if you could send me the missionary library (Jesus the Christ, Lectures on Faith, Our Search for Happiness, and Our Legacy), because everyone tells me they're really good, and I'd like to have them. Also anything else you'd like to send, especially chocolate, which is very expensive down here. They told me that if you send it through USPS, then it's pretty certain to get here without problems and fairly quickly, so keep that in mind...

I'm glad to hear everything's going well at home. It sounds like everyone's staying really busy with work, soccer, the yard, and bebecitos. It would be fun if I could see the progress Andrew is making, because he's at a pretty big developmental stage right now. I hope Canyon and Savanna are doing well, too. Does Savanna talk much more? When does Canyon start school? That's good that Tara will start up again this week. I'm sure you'll have plenty of chances to play the piano now that Alyssa and Mallory are gone, so keep practicing. I'm playing about every week in sacrament meeting in addition to helping out with the choir, and it's tough. The Mexicans really have such a different way of singing the hymns that it's really hard to follow sometimes. I wish I could just sit them all down and tell them how music works, but they probably still wouldn't listen to me or do it right. I did get to play a little guitar on Tuesday, because the members that we had la comida (2 o clock meal that replaces our lunch) with had a guitar and wanted to hear me play, so that was also nice. Don't worry, I'm trying not to let it distract me... too much...

Well I'm in Romans 6 right now, which has one of my favorite repentance scriptures (verse 6) and I'm just loving the scriptures. They are such a powerful source jof inspiration and truth. It's interesting that as I read, when there is a JST, I usually understand the scripture in the way that it's written with the translation before even reading the translation. I feel like Heavenly Father is giving me a much better understanding than I've ever had with the scriptures. I hope you all continue to read and to pray every day. Do everything that is necessary to keep all of the commandments (Acts something:I forgot the reference) and the Lord will pour His spirit on you. Even though it's hard right now, I know that this is where the Lord wants me, and that even if we don't find anyone soon, we're doing what the Lord wants us to do. Do your best to feel the spirit every sunday, because it's so much easier there than it is in my branch here between running for investigators, barely understanding the talks because of the echo, and a number of other difficulties. The Lord loves you, and may He continue to bless you in all you do.

Elder Joseph Facer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home